View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Going through an old box of rocketry stuff today I found these MPC-packaged engines. In the two blister packs MPC was selling what appears to be their own branded engines and engines made by AVI. Did MPC get their start by buying out AVI?

The last package of engines is boxed...........was this type of packaging older or newer than the blister packs? I could probably answer my own question if all of the motors have production dates on them, but I hesitate to open them, possibly damaging the packaging, in case they have any value to someone as a collectible.

Joe

Model Rocket Industries by Myke Bergenske was first.
Model Products Corporation bought MRI, kept Myke on, hired G. Harry Stine as consultant and had a pretty successful run, starting the market for 13mm motors, and driving the move to regular plastic parts (vs. specialty parts that Estes and Centuri were already dabbling in), and different types of packaging (retail bubble packs for motors is the lasting legacy).
By 1972 model rocketry was cooling down and MPC shut its rocketry division down.
In 1973 Bergenske bought everything back from MPC and set up shop as Aerospace Vehicles Incorporated (AVI). He developed some interesting products then (mostly in motors, his wheelhouse), but apparently didn't have the capital to fund them and keep up with the expectations of the considerably larger market that MPC had grown and left for him. I remember lots of complaints of unfulfilled or very late orders, 'vaporware' product announcements, etc.
Seems like he tried to pivot the company into a warehouse/clearinghouse that limped along into the 80's I think.

As to the AVI motors in MPC bubble packs, he probably got lots of pre-existing MPC packaging in the deal with MPC so why not use it?