Thread: Pop Lugs
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
The fly away pop lug always confused me. It seemed thay used the launch rod to hold the lug together and when the rod was cleared the lugs "flew away". But, it seems to me, that this would add friction between the rod and lug and thus induce binding. Am I missing something?

I've used these (I call 'em wrap-around lugs) on a few scale models, most recent probably the Roachwerks LJ-II at NARAM 47. There is a fine line between too tight and too loose, but that can usually be overcome with thrust. In fact, I find that more thrust, like a bigger hammer, is usually a good solution to most of life's problems.

Long and short of it--I've used plenty of different pop lug options, and much prefer the version with small hole in the body tube and a pair of wire legs that wrap around the fins (buy a Fliskits Cougar which includes a great pop lug kit) to the wrap around, but I'd use a wrap-around for higher end competition where even a tiny hole in that's not scale can cost a couple points. I do, actually, try to model around things like hatch covers or rivets so that the hole can be more scale-like.