View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd
Ok I got my Vostok out, and started gluing things together, so I could test fit the T20 tube. Found out the T20 needs to be about 8in long, this will still allow the motor mount tube to stick out about 1/4 in. But in looking at this, the top part of the main body tube is almost T25, or bt50 size, rather than use the T20 stuffer tube, I think I will line mine with a thin coat of epoxy to help protect and seal all seams of the plastic, and sand out the T20 stop with my dremel, so I can have more usable space for recovery equipment.

Hi Mikeyd,

The original central tube was an MPC 20mm tube.
A slightly larger diameter and thicker walled than a Estes BT-20.
The attached picture shows the front and rear of the model build from the instructions in the original "Fly or Display" kit.
The interior 20mm tube is 9" long. Quest sells the 20mm tubes.
That tube sticks out the back (probably to get the engine flame and heat away from the boosters and nozzle plate) by 3/4".
The interior engine mount "shim" tube extends 1/4" beyond that.
That interior engine sleeve is slid and glued in so the fit of an engine won't be loose in the 20mm tube.
The whole thing, the tube in tube hangs out the back by 1" total. (That's just the tubes out the back, not including the engine hook)

The front of the tube butts up against the interior molded ring in the adapter shoulder with the lug attached. See the inset picture on the right.

You can certainly use a BT-20 tube but you might want to make some thin centering rings or something to widen the outside diameter for a better fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vostok Front and Rear.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  206.2 KB  

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!