View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
I don't think there was enough web thickness to do a booster version of the D44. I know that there were none made up. I don't remember what the delays were made up - maybe Mike Hellmund would know.
Thanks for the reply, Matt.

I've heard that, generally speaking, extra propellant was rammed to allow for that. But I've also heard contradicting info that that is not done.

Either way, it doesn't (er..didn't) have to be a D44. Just a fast burn, heavy lift, 24mm booster motor. Sort of the 24mm version of the B14-0. It could be a C2x-0 or C3x. Or a D or maybe even a baby E. Something in the range of 10 to 20+ Ns will work perfectly.

I know we can't go backwards. While we all lament the loss of the B14 and many others, history shows that those who try to resurrect the defunct often lose big $$$. What does work is to do new spins on old ideas, which is what a high thrust D booster would be.

I can't help but wonder if Quest's new motor might be a catalyst for Estes to try something different. While they can't match the 18mm form factor [in a D motor], they could certainly promote the booster angle as a differentiating feature.

Doug
Gotta get that staging staging timer built to I can quit worrying about this stuff....