View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Master Modeler

The PSII controller has a bright LED that lights if there is continuity after the key is inserted. See the spot between the two rocker switches (yellow and red). Then, when the yellow one is pressed a piezo beeper of some kind sounds a continuous tone. The two of them together draw a low enough current (I don't recall what I measured exactly) that the controller is Q2G2 safe.

The time it takes to fire a standard Estes igniter with the LiPoly is very short. I know I kind of chided the folks at Estes about the choice of that little orange JST connector as I found them to be lousy in small electric airplanes when the current draw was any more than about 2A (say a GWS IPS drive). But again the time is so short that in practice it's OK. (that's why you can see that there is a mini-Deans plug on the battery and I made a small mini-Deans to JST adapter to put the battery in the controller. I use the mini-Deans plugs on my small electric planes up to about 12A or so.

Point taken about protecting the sides of the pack from the springs. Certainly a pack that doesn't have a good heat shrink tubing wrap around it would benefit from some other protection there.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE