View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Craftsman

Default Fsi motors

When we first started making motors Larry had gone down to Georges place in Ok. severial times. Partialy to help with orders that we were way behind on. Like i said earlier, George was a smart guy but a bit cantankerous. He had his own schedule and it was not conducive to good customer relations for people needing their motors. Larry was learning as much as posiple and all of us were going down to Linda Hall libruary at UMKC learning as much as we could. Lonnie and Larry had to brush up on their Russian because at the time a lot of the technical books there on solid propellent were in russian. All the first production machines for 21 and 27 mm engines were manual hydrolic presses. We could put about six dies in back to back and run them thru manualy. The first 18mm motors flight systems produced were the Pulseators which had two distinct spikes and a sustainer phase. These motors never really went into production but I do have a couple prototypes in my collection. For a while ,I helped Larry with a rotary table he had bought from Franks Metals in KC that was originally a automated vacuum tube maker he was going to convert. By this time I was just working part time there and cant give you all the details. I was wanting to say the first 18mm machine was actually from a fireworks company they had got. Last i worked there was spring of 1986 and I was working on updating the catalog. There was a couple of sport models I had designed that Harold decided to bring out as new kits as well as Lonnie and larry earlier had built a WASP and a LTV scout to go along with the Black Brant II. The guys earlier had built a half scale ARCAS i wish they would have put into production.