View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Not any more. New diesel cars and trucks must use selective catalytic reduction technology to reduce NOx emissions and the operators required to periodically put refined cow piss into the DEF tank. Not sure about locomotives and ships...

Bill

Yeah, this was the point I was trying to make... back in the 90's, a diesel pickup could easily get 25 mpg or more compared to about 14 for a gasoline model, and that's including the fact that the gasser would typically have 3.10 gears in a lighter half-ton pickup, versus the diesel weighing an extra couple thousand pounds (due to the heavier engine and drivetrain) as well as being mounted in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton (heavier) truck chassis and typically have 4.10 gears...

Not so any more... a diesel truck today MIGHT get 20-22 mpg, but a gasser can do that well nowdays. Back in the 90's, diesel was quite a bit CHEAPER than gasoline at the station as well. Now it's considerably higher than gasoline. The diesel engine generally cost you $4,000 to $6,000 more than a comparable truck with the gas engine, but the diesels only came in 3/4 or one ton models, which usually ran several thousand more than a half-ton model, so overall you were looking at probably $10,000 more (at least) for a diesel pickup versus a half ton gasser model... which is why we never bought a diesel pickup! (I actually bought a used Dodge but while the Cummins engine was top notch, the rest of the truck was complete CRAP so I traded it very quickly on a new 92 F-150 six cylinder 5 speed standard shortbed with overdrive, which I drove for over a decade).

Now, the Europeans have some TERRIFIC little turbodiesels that get OUTSTANDING mileage in a "small car" body... but they won't sell them in the US... and until there is a comparable vehicle to these European turbodiesels available in the US, capable of getting around 70 mpg like they do, I'm not "trading down" from the pickup... certainly not for a stupid 10-15 mpg boost over what I'm getting now with the pickup...

As for hybrids... I wouldn't touch that crap with a ten foot pole...

Later! OL JR