View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
This car, and the Plymouth Duster, were Jeckyl-and-Hyde cars. They could be quite ugly - especially in factory trim - or quite fierce looking with the right rims and tires. Similarly, the drive train options varied from wimpy straight sixes up thru some potent V-8's.

For me, with the Fords, Henry's ghost was still pinching pennies - they put four-bolt wheels on some of those Mavericks. How cheap can you get?

I recall at least one quite potent Maverick in my home town. The guy had it tricked out quite nicely. BTW, Mr. Squirrel-Works, Don Magness, has a Maverick in his eclectic fleet

Doug

Four bolt rims are the six cylinder models... those were the 200 and 240 straight sixes-- they didn't have a V-6 at the time (well, they did actually, but it was based on the old FE skirted "Y" big blocks and was a HD truck engine basically TOTALLY unrelated to anything being run in the cars).

Dad had a 66 Falcon with the I-6 and the four bolt wheels. All the 6 cylinder baseline Mustangs of the time also used the four bolt wheels. That's the quickest way to tell an original 6 cylinder car from the original V-8 cars of the time-- if it's got five-hole wheels it was originally a V-8 (unless they actually went through and switched the front hubs and rear end out).

The 300 six cylinder in the pickups wasn't too bad... but the 200 and 240 were kinda wimpy... of course in a MUSCLECAR you want MUSCLE, which DEFINITELY leaves out the wimpy INLINE SIXES... but for a daily driver they were good motors... especially if you were trying to save gas...

Later! OL JR