View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 02:52 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar
Thanks for all the replys, guys. They're all very interesting and informative.

I'm afraid, however, that my original question is still not answered. The version that Craig refers to in his reply as "#650 version A -- Non-chrome NC and clip-tip fins" is the one that I have never seen except in Estes photos. Companys often use prototypes for product photo sessions and I'm wondering if that's what happened in this case.

So, was this version actually produced or did it only exist as a "fashion model" for the catalog and kit face card insert photos?

Thanks.

Mike Fields

I'm going to hold out and speculate that there were a few of these released into the wild, whether it constituted a full production batch, or was a non-chromed remnant of an earlier production run of chromed parts. Given that Estes took the time to produce artwork for this variant, which represents a major investment of resource capital, it seems logical to me that they were anticipating this version, with the intent of having it around in their catalog for more than a single year. The full-tip, non-chromed version was introduced as the logical follow-up to keep the design around without having to continue production of that special part. Estes could concentrate on the Alpha III fin can, gaining price breaks for quantity increases.

Also interestingly, Estes never used a full-tip model image in their catalog. From 1975 through 1984, the only image seen was that of the all-white clip-tip model. The only paper record of the full-tip version is the first sheet of the #650 plans found on JimZ site.

Equally curious, though, is that these same plans call out the PFM-1 part number for this fin unit, which is the part number given for the chromed clip-tip fin can...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  kc-1@.gif
Views: 181
Size:  11.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  est0650[b]@.gif
Views: 158
Size:  8.2 KB  

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs