View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Although it would require some changes to your business model, you could just ignore them. John Wickman teaches people how to make their own motors (to whatever specifications they desire), which they do in his course. You could put the fear of God into those holier-than-thou folks by saying, "Oh well, since you all are being so hard-arsed about this, I'll just have to start selling motor-making kits," as that's the *last* thing they would want! When the mandarins write rules...ignore, disobey, resist, and go around them.
First of all, no. But what's funny about that suggestion is I already did it once when I started HPR. I had to go through all the usual steps. Encourage clubs, vendors, manufacturers and field based clubs to form. It took 6 years with the help of a magazine and direct mail effort. I had up to 22k users H+. TRA/NAR is combined about 5k and that is over 30 years later. That is because all the interested parties, being manufacturers and clubs, installed onerous regulations and didn't even allow its members to enjoy the federal rules range.

I suppose I could start an entire industry again with whatever rules suited me, but current vogue is a website clientel.

Also the existing channel is entrenched.

We simply need more launch sites and clear guidelines on rocket size/altitude limits.

http://v-serv.com/usr/safetycodes.htm

I just want rules that allow Big Dumb Rockets.

http://v-serv.com/FAA/BDR/

Reg Jerry

Even Shecter had to max out the retail channel and buy web.

It might actually be easier to do a NSL report on it, declare it the 2014 Blue Ribbon Commission, and see what NAR spearheads.

As a vendor I have 3-4 suggestions that would at minimum double the active market. That would help everyone and even leave room for new entrants.