View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
One thought: In PSS [...] cockpit windows and canopies are often depicted as painted blue, green, or gray-green opaque objects.

That's what will happen if I admit defeat on the clear nose tip. But I am going to try *very very hard* to get the clear tip to work. I'm pretty sure I can do it, may not be perfect but I'll still feel better with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
Attached is a photo that may be more realistic, if you are interested in modeling an operational version. The warnings are fairly readable.

That's a great photo, somehow one I hadn't seen among all the ones I had found so far. Where's it from?

Quote:
The one around the seeker dome reads: CAUTION NO SUPPORT OR HANDLING FORWARD OF THIS LINE

Yup, that one I had already.

Quote:
The one around the rocket motor reads: WARNING ROCKET MOTOR ARMED IF INDICATOR NOT GREEN

That's a new one for me.

Quote:
Also as a general note on ordnance markings, the two blue stripes in your photo indicate the round is inert. Note in the picture I posted the stripe around the warhead is yellow and the one around the motor is brown. These colors indicate live ordnance. Any bomb or missile component in blue markings is for display or training but is incapable of use in combat. At least that is the convention in the West.

Fantastic info, thanks! That's exactly the sort of thing I'm hoping to learn. I had seen some pics with the yellow and brown vs. some with the blue, but wasn't certain of the meaning.

I don't have any preconceived ideas whether it's more desirable to go with the operational or display paint. I guess I had sort of settled on the blue theme because I wanted to include the logo, probably gonna stay with it.

Any idea what the warning box might say between the main fins on my original picture?