View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
At least one of the Atlas 'E' motors made it to market as I have it in my collection.

Centuri bought Coaster in 1963 (Source: Larry Rice interview with Menford Sutton)

Centuri discontinued the Mini-Max line in 1971 when a freak lightning storm destroyed the manufacturing plant. The 1970 Centuri catalog lists both Mini-Max and Enejet motors.

Bob

Bob, I'm aware of Larry's Interview with Menford Sutton, and although he didn't specifically say he sold Coaster to Centuri in 1963 he at least implied it.

When I wrote, " Remember, that between the time Centuri absorbed Coaster in mid 1965 to 1969, during that period,", the following is what I based my mid 1965 post on..

G. Harry Stine had this to say about Centuri's purchase of Coaster in the Sept/Oct 1965 issue of AM :

"....Running a close second to Estes is Centuri Engineering Company (P.O. Box 1988, Phoenix 3, Ariz.) under the able management of Leroy (Midnite Oil) Piester.
Centuri just purchased Coaster Corporation, have moved that outfit to Phoenix, and are now in full production on an improved line of big engines.
While we therefore bid fond adieu to Coaster, we will pick up where we left off with the Centuri Hercules and Atlas engines, plus a whole line of kits for big engine power.
Centuri has the most complete line of products for big and little birds covering the whole..."

Since this was published in the 9-10/65 issue I assumed that G. Harry wrote and submitted this to the magazine at least 3 months prior to its publication date; whcih is a reasonable assumption to make I think. That would place the actual submission date as approximately June-July 1965.

Lee Piester states that he redesigned the Coasters in 1968.

So the interview implies 1963 and G. Harry seems to indicate mid 1965: how about we split the differnce and agree Centuri purchased Coaster in 1963 but didn't finally absorb/move Coastert to Phoenix till mid 1965. Thats probably what occured. I suppose we could ask Lee . I reviewed his two interviews and although he mentions the Coaster acquistion in both interviews, he provides only vague date stamps.

Finally, in August 1964 Coaster Corp sponsored several of the trophies at NARAM-6. I am willing to conceed that Centuri may have purchased Coaster either up front or over time and that Centuri manufactured their Attlas/Hercules at the Coaster Texas location,

Its all good though as it tightens the timeframe when things occured.

Oh a big thanks for the motor pic! how about a ruler and a core shot?

terry dean
nar 16158 .