View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
BAR

I dumped commercial pads years ago for my own design... I prefer the look of my clone of the Zooch Pad 34-Z (Z for Zooch) LOL

The Porta pad I used to use was too light, and I didn't like having to stake it down all the time... plus it was built pretty chinsy... and I didn't like the look-- the new "lightning bolt" leg pads are even worse... But, you use what you got I guess...

The tin can cut on one side and turned inside out works well for a blast deflector... that's what I used on the Pad 34-Z...

If you want to use a 1/8 rod in a launcher made only to take 3/16 or larger, you can always wrap the end of the rod with a few layers of masking tape to make it big enough to fit in the rod holder of the pad...

Never liked the two-piece rods either... bought stainless steel rods from Fastenal a few years ago and couldn't be happier... highly recommended.

I like putting my launcher up on a small card table or kiddie play table (yard sale fodder) so I don't have to get down on the ground for hookup and prep... plus it makes the rocket more visible and keeps the pad up high enough one doesn't have to worry about jabbing their eye on a rod sticking up 3 feet and a few inches above the ground...

Later and good luck! OL JR

PS. Sorry to hear about your landing troubles... trees and berry vines-- that sucks... no better place to launch at ALL??