Thread: WI-Roc!
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 08:45 PM
fly'em 'til they don't come back

Default WI-ROC / WrE / 2018 / Finish 1

I am now at the FINISH Stage of the WI-ROC. What that means is I could theoretically fly this rocket this weekend. I've seen a number of rockets flown "naked".
Some rocketeers fly an unpainted model for test purposes. Some hate the finishing process so much that they would just as soon stop right here, leave the rocket at this stage, and not pay any attention to paint. But, for me the build time and effort is not even close to done. I've decided on a color scheme and livery that is one of my favorites. I've used it before on other rockets. Rather than blurting it out right now- I'm gonna just let it develop and show a few of the steps along the way.

After a good coat of GRAY PRIMER is applied and thoroughly dried (24-36 hours) SANDING and SHAPING are again a major part of this stage of production. I had to re-shape the top end of one of the fins leading edge. A little misplaced epoxy during the FILLET process has cured in the wrong place. In reality, the tiny bit of epoxy will not significantly affect the flight, but it doesn't look right, and now's the time to correct it. I used a couple of RAT TAIL FILES to make the adjustment.
I'm always surprised by how the PRIMER COAT brings out tons of surface flaws. No matter how smooth and cool it looks before priming the TRUTH comes out when everthing is in primer. My normal technique is:
medium sand/fill/prime, fine sand/prime, extra fine sand/final prime.
WI-ROC followed that routine.

I use RATTLE CAN SPRAY PAINT on almost all of my rockets. There's a LOT of debate about which paints are best for gloss, or smooth finish, or dryability etc. I have found that if surfaces and the paint itself is properly prepared, RUSTOLEUM 2X Brand delivers a high solids/high opacity finish. I have, and will again use other paint brands for Special Effects on a given rocket. But for the basic style of the WrE / WI-ROC / 2018 - Rustoleum 2X will work fine.

The WI-ROC is the WISCONSIN ROCKET. It's currently WInter in WIsconsin. I don't have to tell most WOOSHers that WI Winter can be very uncooperative when it comes to spray painting! Over the years I have experimented with different techniques to deal with some of the issues brought on by cold. One thing I almost always do (except in the HEAT of WI Summer) is WARM THE PAINT. I like to do this by using HOT WATER. Because the can will float, a few inches of hot water in the laundry tub provides a safe way to heat the paint within. Shake the can, put it directly under the HOT water coming right out of the tap, let if "soak" in the HOT water in the sink, shake (the hell outta) the can again. This step brings a lot of improvement to the function of the paints chemical characteristics. More on that some other time. Trust me on this one- if properly done, it works.

I put the FIRST COAT of Black on the left side fin surface and the payload/nose cone section.
This will serve asabase for subsequent masking. . . . TO BE CONTINUED
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  lo end.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  448.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  lo 1st black.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  475.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  lo warm.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  522.9 KB  Click image for larger version