View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Thank Lee.

The Saturn 1B is all repaired. I lost more decals than anything else. Just having a hard time getting the little ones to stick on the flat paint. I should do a little touch up painting, but all is well again.

Now, what's next... a 1/100 space shuttle? Or a 1/35 S1B?

Charles

Charles,

It may be too late, but note this for future decal use on flat paint. I use Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic Clear Gloss over flat paint, apply decals, then use their Matte clear to return the finish to flat. Really works well to hide the edges of a decal.

A number of my favorite paints are flats, so I do this a lot. I've used this technique on lots of different paints, both enamels and lacquers. Just make sure you use several really light coats. The UV-Resistant formulations can be found in the Art Dept. Of Hobby Lobby, it's not stocked with the spray paints, at least in Colorado stores. Michaels may have it also.

I've got an Estes Saturn 1B built, but no paint yet. I think I've waited too long, it's been rainy and cool and not sure it's going to get much warmer for awhile. I've got both a Semroc 1B and the Apogee 1B -- may do the Semroc one over the winter.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp