View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
"The website actually says that one is skill level 3, which is a bit surprising if you have to cut the ducts yourself (it appears as if you do indeed)."

True, but it says "4" twice in the kit description. I was surprised that it includes a baffle and alignment fixture (like the SEMROC Trident kit). John Boren is really bringing it. He designs using the currently available Estes parts, but my first thought was "SPEV?"

Chas

It might be. He told me when the Estes SLV came out that it was a SPEV. The SLV uses 5 BNC-50Js....and I gather they're getting completely away from balsa nose cones.

It's funny that whenever it comes up in conversation, Bill Simon, the designer of the original SPEV, he claims he wishes everyone would forget that one....

There is also the recent packaging change to some of the Estes line that changed "skill level" to just "level" and basically redefined everything up two levels, so that RTFs and E2X/ARF types had a level number. One obvious effect of that was to make the 1225 Alpha a "Level 3" model! As I understand it, this was done with little and pretty much after-the-fact input from the folks in Penrose who know a few things about model rockets....

That project was apparently not completed, so there is a mixture of the older skill level and newer "just level" packaging out there. When that web page was created, one might wonder which level system was on the mind of the page creator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0489.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  299.3 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE