View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Interesting...didn't know about that. I have BT-60-based upscales of the original Alpha (so 167%) done in the 1967 paint scheme, and the Semroc Aphelion (157%) - this latter just got the last coat of sealer on the fins a few minutes ago. I was dithering about whether or not to try to squeeze my 256% Nova Payloader (built for NSL 2013 and entered in Classic Model at NARAM 56) into the car as it will complicate things but I can try a little harder to bring it along.

By "two motor classes higher" do you mean a model the was designed for As to Cs has to fly on an E? I'll probably want to use a Chute Release aboard the Alpha or Aphelion - but both have mounts that are long enough for Estes 24mm Es. No problem forthe big Nova Payloader.....as it's a kitbashed Estes Partizon - so it wants at least full F.

Correct - if the original was designed to fly on up to a C, then the upscale needs to fly on at least an E. We could have said "two motor mount sizes larger", but we're choosing to keep it simple.

The entire rules of the contest are posted on the NSL website, but they're patterned after "Sport Scale" rules in NAR competition -- we're not going to actually measure the entries, we're just going to eyeball them. You just need to provide some sort of documentation of the original -- an catalog listing of the original kit, the package label from the original kit, etc. You just need to provide something to show that the original rocket you're upscaling is a commercially produced rocket kit, and what it looks like.

We didn't specifially rule out entries that are themselves upscale kits -- for example, we're not prohibiting entering a Mega Der Red Max as an upscale Der Red Max. Because the static judging is going to take into account difficulty of construction, and because an upscale kit is an easier build than a scratch built, anyone who takes that approach will be penalizing themselves in the static judging -- but they can still do it that way if they want. This is NSL, not NARAM, so we're not going to get nit-picky about what entries to allow and what entries to disallow. We mainly just want people to have fun with it -- and an upscale contest provides an extra measure of fun for spectators as well.