View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Cool *That's* stinkin' cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202
Jay, I bet I've read your Sport Rocketry story on Lee Piester at least 10 times. In fact, as Matt Steele and I were consulting on questions we had to include in the interview with Lee, I kept going back to your article.
Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. Those 3300 words on 6 pages were mostly the result of a 20-minute interview with Lee on Memorial Day Weekend 4 years ago. After spending time with him and Betty during NARCON 2006 (and a few phone calls with Betty beforehand), I came to the realization that I should have interviewed *both of them TOGETHER,* because their collective memories help fill in all the blanks.

You can imagine how I felt when Lee said that while he was preparing his talk for NARCON, he consulted my article to get a feel for the chronological order of things. After I introduced him just before his talk, he told me "Thanks for getting everything *mostly* right in that article." (Some of the timeline is off, and Lee sold Centuri in 1971, instead of '72. Both Lee and Betty said it was 18 months after Vern sold Estes on September 27, 1969. [Date courtesy Mike Maurer.] We had difficulty nailing some of the events down. I accept full responsibility.)

So thanks again!

(sly look) I'm sure you'll be posting your submission guidelines, no doubt. (innocent look)

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014