View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I never thought of looking at the hobby shops in Fort Myers when I'm down there for old gems. I'm usually too busy on the beach.

I imagine all the mom & pop shops are gone and/or the ones left have been picked clean by you and Harold.

What Neal says is true. I have been here since 76 and don't remember more than 3 shops in Ft. Myers / Cape Coral area. I don't remember the auction because I would have camped out. ANyway, the very last shop in the Cape that closed was A&J models which was taken out by Hurricane Charlie. It was a little tiny one man shop that almost no one knew about (and I was stingy with the info). He has lots of reallyold Estes, Custom and Aerotech stuff. Little by little I snatched it up and by the time the hurricane hit there was not much left of any worth. His shop was actually in the very first office building I had when I was building homes. After the storm he tried reopening in the damaged building but one day I went there and he was gone and the shop was cleaned out. I never knew exactly what happened until one day I responded to a Craigs list ad up in Port Charlotte. The guy was advertising a box full of kits. I knew instantly from the price stickers that they came from the old man's shop. Turns out this was his nephew and he inherited the inventory after the old man died. It was kind of sad but it did put an end to my wondering.

I hate rules.