View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
I am very excited about this motor. I am hoping that this new casing will provide enough of a price break to inspire the production of motors other than the D. Like maybe a 13mm B??

I wonder if Quest will be able to automate the propellant loading process? That should be a price break as well, and really would be a revolution in ap motor production.

Phred

Composite motors smaller than 18mm diameter are difficult to cast propellant for using current methods by hobby motor manufacturers. In addition, the nozzle throat would be very small and difficult to get an igniter to fit through.

As for automated propellant making/loading. I know Gary Rosenfield looked into it when I was with AeroTech. The cost of the equipment was very expensive (Millions $$) plus the machine had to be kept running 24/7. If it stopped, the equipment would need to be completely torn down and cleaned. This took about a week.

When the AeroTech D21 was being made, the most expensive components of the motors was the cost of labor and packaging. The propellant was fairly inexpensive to make. The molded casings saved time but were not made in a cost-effective manner.

Bob