View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

There is a thread or threads here on YORF in which we all contributed real or perceived manufacturing methods for the original original b16-b3-b14 and the later variations of the B14 to B8 transition, along with historical info and pics.

What follows is from memory and email conversations but the "O-O" b16-b3-b14 was actually just a B4 which has a wider core than a B6 that then had an approx. .25-.375 length cylinder shaped smaller core in it. If you look at the old Estes catalogs you will see pics of elongated cores running 3/4 "of the way up the grain; this was misinformation primarily to fool potential rival companies from copying Estes trade secrets.

So the "O-O" B14 started our life on a Mabel as a B4 and was then drilled by a machine designed invented by Vern Estes. I'm not at liberty to go into the exacting details of the size and type of drill used,etc. Let's just say it wasn't simply just a twist drill. Vern did numerous tests varying drill bit types and rpm's to get the "sweet spot"....

So the "O-O" b14 was a semi-automated 2 step process.....

This 2 step process resulted in periodic explosive events so later B14's that evolved into the B8's later were all made from fully formed mandrels in Mabels.

I think "O-O" B14 could probably be made to day fully automated, using a combo cylinder-coned shaped mandrel, but if that was true Estes probably would have already done it.

I've never been privy to how abrasive the hydraulically pressed fine black powder is on the tooling.....but i'm sure it has to be replaced or retrofitted on a more or less regular basis as the fine black powder being pressed at the pressures they are on automated runs over time had to be very abrasive, so the tooling has to be made of some pretty hard stuff.

I would guess for insurance purposes they have made the business decision to let B14's Rest In Peace.

hth

Terry Dean