View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I must have made the first open house, because as you know it isn't usually that cold here in March. I'm going to have to start looking for those photos, I got a couple of good ones someplace.

Randy

Maybe you made it to the last one? The first one was a pretty mild day, IIRC. We had a regional rocket contest that weekend, purposely finished it up by 11 AM Sunday morning, and most everyone drove to see the open house at MSFC. One of those who made it was Mark Bundick, I rode with him as did some others. His car was overheating the last mile or so when traffic slowed to a crawl, so he ran the heater full blast to help keep the engine cool, we were burning up inside his car since it was not really cold outside. OK, I looked up weather history from two possible Sundays, the 19th was 65 degrees, the other (March 26th) was 62 degrees.

I am not questioning that you also attended, it may have been another occasion.Or perhaps I was so pumped at seeing it that I don't recall it seeming cold.

Maybe they even did a 4th open house late in 1978 or even winter 1979. Part of the frustration with googling things that happened before......Google...... or at least the www age, is that so LITTLE info about things that happened in the past is often not to be found since there's no digital records of a lot of it. So doing a Google Search for:

"shuttle enterprise open house msfc dates"

Does not find anything about the Open Houses held at MSFC.

That stab did cause the discovery of a pretty nice article on Enterprise, with a lot of info about it's time at MSFC. And some good pics I'd seen before which are worth posting.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/201...started-it-all/

Enterprise transported past MSFC HQ:

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer