View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

(Continued)

The static model photography had been completed and catalog design/layout moved into high gear.

It was during this time that AeroTech had to deal with some major issues caused directly/indirectly by the Estes management, the biggest one being the 'exploding' reload video created by Vulcan Systems and distributed by Estes to the DOT and CPSC (Among others).

Gary and Paul dealt with these issues while I concentrated on things related to the LA RCHTA Show and getting sales.

As the catalog took shape, there were a few more ideas/projects that appeared.

The first was did we want to highlight more information about the three different propellant types AeroTech was producing (White Lightning, Black Jack, Blue Thunder)? It was decided that there should be pictures of AeroTech models being flown with the three different propellants in the catalog. We couldn't use any of the new models as we only had the prototypes of each one and they were needed for the RCHTA Show.

I did have flight models of the original AeroTech kits (Initiator, Mustang, Arreaux and IQSY Tomahawk). The flight model HV Arcas was damaged and couldn't be flown. I was asked about having a flight model Astrobee D. We only had the photo model which could not be risked being flown. I contacted the builder of the Astrobee D photo model, Marc McReynolds, to ask if he could build another Astrobee D but this time make it very sturdy and flight capable. It did not have to have alot of detail, just look good from about ten feet away. Marc said he could and do it in a hurry. I shipped him a box of parts and less than two weeks later we had a 'flight' Astrobee D model. It looked pretty good. The main thing I noticed was that Marc had used 1/4" thick balsa wood for the fins and they were strongly mounted to the body tube.

The day of flight photography arrived. Gary, Paul and I headed out to El Dorado dry lake outside of Las Vegas and future site of NARAM-34. While I readied the models, Paul and Gary set up the Mantis launch pad and launch controller. Gary would be the photographer because he had the best camera (SLR, It could shoot multiple frames per second).

Each model was flown several times with different propellant loads and we hoped that we would get some good pictures.

Paul really liked the Wart-Hog model. It was his favorite of the new kits. Paul had a different finishing scheme in mind for the model and had built a Wart-Hog to reflect his idea. Paul preferred a more sounding rocket look as opposed to my military missile look. Paul's Wart-Hog was flown and photographed but the pictures were not used in the catalog.

After the pictures were developed, we were glad to see there was at least one good picture of each propellant type that could be used in the catalog (The Blue Thunder propellant was the most difficult to photograph).

As the catalog moved to completion and Paul and I wrote copy for it, another major issue arose. Bob Parks, designer of the Phoenix glider, had another R/C rocket glider he thought would make a good product to sell. This was the Raven which was an S8E design he had used in international rocket competitions. Bob thought AeroTech could sell it but it would need to get into the catalog.

After many discussions on the subject, no decision had been made and the absolute final cut-off date for catalog design/layout was approaching. One final meeting/conferance call occurred with all of the major participants. We had some layout artwork for the Raven to be used in the catalog but it was going to be a push to get it finished in time. Production time for the Raven was also an issue.

None of the principals could make a decision. So I did. I stated that there wasn't any more time, that the Raven would NOT be in this catalog and could always be added in a future catalog. It was quiet for a moment then everyone else said "okay".

I won that round.

The catalog was now in production and I could turn my attention more to the logistics for the LA RCHTA Show. As I was putting things for the Show together, i received a call from the Show management staff. It seemed one of the major exhibitors had to drop out and their space was now available.

"Where was the location", I asked?

"First aisle, on the right as one enters the exhibit hall, facing the entrance", I was told.

I didn't say anything. I was so surprised. What a prime location!

Usually I would check with Gary and/or Paul but a decision had to be made fast before another company secured the space.

"I'll take it", I told the caller.

He said, "Fine" and put AeroTech in that location. There was no increase in the booth space cost, either.

Things were coming together nicely for AeroTech at the LA RCHTA Show. The Phoenix glider, five new rocket kits plus the Astrobee D, the RMS-18/24/29 reloadable motors (With 'B' and 'C' loads for the RMS-18) and a new, multi-page catalog would be making their appearance. I was psyched.

Even so, the Estes management was expending quite a bit of effort to disrupt AeroTech's reputation and existance. I fielded calls from hobby distributors and shops about rumors that AeroTech was going out of buisiness/had already gone out of business. I told the callers that AeroTech was fine and if they wanted to be sure, come see us at the LA RCHTA Show.

As Gary and I packed to leave for the RCHTA Show, the catalogs were still not ready. It was going to be close. Gary requested that the printing company send several thousand of the catalogs straight to the RCHTA exhibit hall.

As Gary and I left Las Vegas bound for Los Angeles, we had good thoughts about the upcoming RCHTA Show. Our only concern was the catalogs. Would they arrive in time?

For the answer to this question and what transpired at the 1992 LA RCHTA Show, you will just have to wait for my next installment. What happened at the show would send shockwaves all the way back to Penrose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  AeroTech Paul Hans and Bob Sanford load Paul's Wart-Hog 001.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  142.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AeroTech Paul Hans with Astrobee D 001.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  159.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AeroTech Astrobee D White Lightning 001.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  181.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AeroTech Mustang Black Jack 001.jpg