View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Unhappy Nothing Lasts Forever, But...

By now we've all likely heard of the near total destruction by fire of the National Museum of Brazil in Rio. Not only was this priceless 200 year institution devastated, but the loss of an estimated 20 million artifacts (along with their associated knowledge and heritage) is an incalculable cultural loss not just for the people of Brazil but for all of us really. Imagine the devastation that we would feel if our own national museums and collections were wiped out virtually overnight. (Smithsonian Air & Space comes particularly to mind.)

I was somewhat pondering that loss as I was reorganizing some of my rocket stuff today. At one point as I was rummaging through what I had thought was a properly closed Tupperware bin I picked up a binder that held my back issue collection of the old Estes "Model Rocket News" and was surprised to see shredded paper confetti cascading out from it. Imagine my dismay then when I opened the cover to discover that one or more little rodents had proceeded to nibble significant portions out of the bottom edges of the newsletters, up to about Volume 4, Number 3. AARGHH!!

Sure, I know that there are digital copies of these available... but it's just not the same, you know? And although we have three cats in the house it would appear that the mice had plenty of time to carry out their little act of vandalism, as they had built a comfy little nest for themselves in an unfilled corner of the bin with the paper shavings. And as if to add further insult to injury, the empty nest still contained a little buffet of pilfered cat kibble as well!

So, a word to the wise is sufficient I guess. I'll be checking my stuff on a more regular basis now, and doing everything that I can to protect what I do have that is of value to me.

And as for my vintage copy of Capt. Betrand R. Brinley's "Rocket Manual For Amateurs", well, that's likely going into a metal box ASAP!

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!