View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Forest Sprite

The other day I got the idea of using soft ink stamps and stamp pad ink of various colors to decorate gliders. I was thinking of the cheap $0.35 balsa gliders that I used to get when I was a kid. They had details on them (cockpit outline, USAF insignia, etc.) that appeared to have been applied by stamping them with ink. Those simple gliders flew beautifully. The ink was bright and the printed details were big and bold, so they were quite visible at the 10'-25' altitudes that these gliders typically flew at.

It has always been my understanding that putting any paint, even a very light coat, on a glider would give it the flying characteristics and sink rate of a brick. That Fake Wulf that Bob H posted is truly a thing of beauty, though, and I am very heartened to hear that yes, if it is carefully applied using the right type, one can actually give a glider a full paint job and still see it glide. I am very interested in experimenting with it in my gliders now.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011