View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Launching since 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Leykis

End of terrestrial radio broadcast

The Tom Leykis Show had its last regular terrestrial broadcast on Friday, February 20, 2009, and ended at 5 p.m., the middle of its usual time slot. Leykis took calls until the last five minutes. At that point, the host mentioned that people had asked him how he was going to end the show. Saying "Let's tell the truth", Leykis commented that he knew since the previous summer that it was possible the flagship station (KLSX, which originated the broadcast of the show) would switch format. Saying he "tossed and turned", he thought about it and asked himself: "What could I say that would wrap this all up? And then I one day heard this song … and I realized – the lyrics of this song … are about me." With that, Leykis rolled into Joe Jackson's "I'm the Man" (the title track of Jackson's 1979 album). By the time the song was over, the studio was filled with people—as could be seen by the live online video broadcast on the station website. The host thanked his producers, the program director, the crowd in the studio, and everyone in southern California who made it "12 great years", and he finished with "Let's do this thing one more time..." The crowd yelled "Blow me up, Tom" one last time to end the show and mark the end of KLSX as "The FM Talk Station" in what coincidentally became a strikingly appropriate catch phrase to be had: The phrase "blow up the station" is a radio term for ending a particular format or station run. After a much longer than usual explosion sound effect, the crowd cheered and KLSX changed format from hot talk to CHR/Top 40.[83]

Return

When Leykis's show went off the air in 2009, he was in the middle of a five-year contract with CBS. This contract included the rights to his show over terrestrial radio, internet rights, and specific to airing on KLSX; this kept Leykis from appearing on any other CBS station. In addition, CBS also would not allow podcasts for them, as they were concentrating on other online ventures at the time. Despite all this, Leykis has no regrets over his contract terms, and still speaks highly of CBS.[citation needed]

During his show's hiatus, he created The New Normal Network in 2010 including the Gary and Dino Show.[84][85] The network has also at times held multiple music streams, in order to take the media into his own hands. After setting up his new network, Leykis announced on the network's website that his show would return on April 2, 2012, one day after the conclusion of his contract with CBS.

On the first day of the show's return, there were some streaming issues that were rectified within the first 30 minutes, due to a far greater influx of listeners than he was expecting. After receiving data from his analytic sources, Leykis announced on the air that in the first week of the show, over 401,000 different IP addresses tuned into the show.[citation needed]

During live broadcasts, The Tom Leykis Show is the top internet radio talk show in the world, as well as the number two internet radio station in the world, according to SHOUTcast.[86]

The Tasting Room

Leykis produces a weekend show, The Tasting Room with Tom Leykis. It used to air mostly on such West Coast stations as KGIL in Los Angeles, California and KFBK in Sacramento, California. It's produced by The New Normal Network and has morphed into a 2-hour podcast show. He discusses: “fine wine, high-end spirits, and craft brews [plus] first-rate dining and premium cigars”.[87] The show used to be broadcast mostly on West Coast radio markets but has since moved online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Tom Leykis ??
Now there's a name I have not heard in a while.

I LIIIIIIIIKE his attitude toward dating/relationships from the MALE perspective.
Don't waste your time/money on someone that is not getting you exactly what you want/expect.
He used to have an "all purpose" talk show on radio that came on after G. Gordon Liddy's show. This was at least 15 years ago when those shows were carried in Michigan.