View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think any camera or video rocket today, in order to be commercially viable, must be digital (and have some sort of reliable, non-volatile storage, unlike one recent unit). Folks today, with iPhones and micro-USB connectors, want to download and watch the video/see pics while they're at the field. Not only do they not want to wait for film developing, they don't even want to wait to get home to see what they got.

So, while 35mm film is a huge improvement over 110, it's still not viable, in this day and age, IMNSHO.

Doug

Oh yeah, didn't mean they should come out with it NOW... should have clarified that I guess... the time for a product like this was during the 90's...

110 film has been hard to find around here for a LONG time... 35mm film is nearly impossible to find around here anymore now too. Film is slowly going the way of the dodo... it'll always have a place in "professional" photography (or VERY serious amateurs) because there are things you can do with film that are difficult or impossible to do with digitals, but film is already a "niche" product as far as consumer photography goes... I figure that trend will continue.

For most stuff, digital IS superior... as you said, the "instant access" to the product is a big plus, and if something's screwed up or you just don't like the finished product, you can hit 'delete' and don't have ANY sunk costs in film or developing (other than the cost of the flight itself). That's a BIG plus...

Later! OL JR