View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Launching since 1970.

The bullpup has had problems. The original version had only half the nose weight required for stable flight and this resulted in unstable flights and FIRES when the buring rocket hit the ground.

I notified Estes and they fixed the problem by doubling the nose weight and updating the instructions by adding a slip of paper warning you to add the extra weight.

When the launchables version first appeared in Wal-Mart several years ago, the first batch DID NOT have the extra nose weight! I called Estes to let them know and it was fixed on future production runs, but I don't know what the current instruction sheet says.

I DO know that the OLD version of the instructions posted on the original message in this thread are OLD and INCORRECT (and potentially dangerous - remember the "FIRE" hazard). They are the original instructions before the extra clay was added. Hopefully someone can update those instructions with the extra clay warning.

And those old instructions do show adding masking tape for a fristion fit of the motor. It is fairly clear in those instructions. Again, I don't know what the modern instructions say....

One additional warning (OK, maybe 2 additional warnings):

1) If the glue on the motor mount is not good and strong, when you install the motor with a friction fit, it may rip the motor mount tube from the centering rings or the centering rings from the main body tube.

2) If you do not have the motor block installed correctly and the motor sticks out the back of the rocket too far, it will be unstable and dnagerous. If you find this problem, either dig/tear out the motor block and reglue it in the correct position or retrofit with a mini-motor mount and only fly with A10-3T motors.