View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
If you look on the top panel of the portable power supply, I think I see a socket (covered) for a 12 volt plug. "Recycle" a plug from a old 12 volt gadget (or you can buy one at some auto stores),swap with the battery clips and now you have easier access to that 12 volt power by plugging into the portable power supplies' 12 v outlet.

Want even more versatility? Use RCA jacks on the end of the power supply lines and on the battery clamps and on the 12 v. plug, and now in mere seconds, you can switch to whatever power source you have.

BTW, If you don't have the 12 v. portable power supply (aka jumper battery, car booster battery...) still having the 12 v. plug makes it awful convenient to just plug into the car's cigarette lighter instead of opening the hood and messing around under there. I know my '95 lumina van even had an outlet in the back so when I opened the rear hatch to get to my supplies it was right there.
Hi, Bernard,

You need to keep in mind both these connector types have reliability issues. The cigarette lighter connectors are notorious for popping out at the wrong time. In this case, being halfway out is the really hazardous part since that's when there will still be some conductivity...perhaps just enough to get half your cluster lit Plus, if you're coming off the cigarette lighter socket, you stand to pop the fuse to it.

Similary, the RCA jacks get pretty loose after a while and can present similar current restrictions. And they're not all that high-current rated to start with. Our club model rails use these, and I frequently see where the center conductor has become quite loose and wobbly.

That's why I prefer banana plugs. They can handle lots of current, and they connect quite solidly, with nearly an inch of insertion length.

No doubt those other connectors have multiple advantages such as availability and ease of use, but I find them to be iffy if used for more than one motor at a time.

Doug

YORF member #11