View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Green Motors

I'm pretty sure that I saw a thread about green colored motors on YORF some time back.

Anyways, on Christmas day, my sister in-law gave me 4 packs of Estes motors that had belonged to her late husband. They were in the blue diamond tubes and there was one tube of A8-3's, two tubes of B6-4's and one tube of C6-3's.

When I took them out of the tubes, I was surprised to find that they were the green colored motors. The nozzles on these are smaller than current motors of the same type.

When I asked how they were stored, I was told they had been in an unheated attic up here in the northeast for probably the last 30+ years. I assume that they are CATO's waiting to happen.

I was thinking that I could build a few Midnight Express paper rockets to see what happens since they have had severe temperature cycling but them decided to see if anyone wanted them.

I am not a motor collector so they don't have any more value to me than a current motor, but I understand that there are a few collectors out there. I am planning to attend NARCON in Connecticut this year so I can bring them with me if there is any interest.

Pictures:
1. Blue diamond tubes.
2. One each of green A8-3, B6-4, C63.
3. Nozzle comparison with current motors. L - R: A8-3, B6-4, C6-3
4. Nozzles with a scale in the picture just because Terry Dean is going to ask for one. L - R: A8-3, B6-4, C6-3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  old_motors_01 (2).jpg
Views: 186
Size:  48.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  old_motors_02.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  47.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  old_motors_03.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  37.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  old_motors_04.jpg