View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The S-IVB (third stage) tube in the 1/100 scale Saturn V kits (the original Centuri kit and the later various Estes re-issues) would use the same size tube as the one in question here.

If memory serves, the tube included in the Saturn V kit is a bit longer, so it would have to cut shorter.

So...if you (or some other kind soul) has a 'partial' Saturn V kit that includes this tube, you could use that for this 1b build.

Earl

P.S. - Possibly Estes cusromer service might be able to supply you a 'replacement' Saturn V tube for use, since I think they are supposed to be re-issuing that kit soon.

The original 1/100 Estes Sat 5 (#K-36) and the latest reissue (#2157) both use the BT-80 tube for that stage. Presumably the iterations in between do the same. I think this is done for expedience, since it's far more economical to use a readily available standard size tube than a specialty sized one. The difference is miniscule. The kit in question uses the BT-82 tube, per JumpJet. So, short answer, all you have to do is sand the two centering rings for the slightly smaller diameter and the BT-80- should work as a substitute.

As far as requesting a specific part not listed in their webpages or catalogs, I tried a couple of years ago to order the 3.42" tube used in the 1/45 Estes LJII, since I wanted to clone the old Mercury Atlas. The response was that since they no longer have a dedicated parts department, that would not be possible. So I made my own tube.