View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I have to admit that I'd be curious to see examples of these myself.

I have a number of old Vulcan high power motors from my earlier high power days in the late 80s and early 90s....G80s and such up through several I160s and a couple J250 Hellfire motors, and a sprinkling of Aerotech single-use stuff, but I have only one Enerjet composite motor and that was not obtained until this past February or so from a former manager of Centuri's motor plant.

This Enerjet motor is an 'unlabeled' F67, which he was able to send down to Augusta, GA (where I am) by way of one of his friends who was visiting family here in the area at the time. I only met this fellow from an eBay sale of an original 'red' #13 plastic fin unit (like used on the Enerjet 1340 series of 'professional' rocket kits). Recognizing the somewhat more 'rare' red color of the fin unit, I asked the seller of the fin unit (which I eventually won in the auction) where he/they got it, and he told me his Centuri background. Days later he sends an email saying he has a friend that will be visiting the Augusta area and that this person will be bringing with him this unlabeled Enerjet motor to give to me....for FREE!

But yes, I too would LOVE to see some examples of the Enerjet 'professional' line of motors. THOSE would really be the forerunners of high power (H and above) as we know it today.

Jerry I., you readin' this thread??

Earl

I have been doing some digging lately for motor artifacts. I uploaded some images of CD motors for someone to put on their site.

I expect to find a stash of Enerjet G76 motor cases soon. I will post a photo of course, but better than that, I have so many I would cheerfully part with one for the right "motivated" person.

You are not going to find Enerjet H or I motors. There were some prototypes and Gary Rosenfield got the best of those parts from Lee and Larry. Enerjet did make quite a few E24, F52, F67, and G76 motors.

I was driven to AZ to pick up F67's and G76's as at that time they were only shipping up to F52 to CA. I could never actually buy bigger motors. But I did get a 2250, 2650, and red fin 1340 from Lee himself. I could kick myself for not taking more photos of those. Tom Kolis has the best photos to go through to find the gems. Maybe some day he will have them scanned to CD's so I can go through them right. My mom did that with our family slides and it was cheap for the sheer number we had.

The earliest bigger motors were Composite Dynamics (#1-Hoffman) [G-I], Internal Ballistics Co (Johnson-Irvine)[1/8A-N], Composite Distribution (Irvine)[E-N], and later SSRS (Crown-Mayhle)[E-H], Vulcan (Dixon)[F-L], Plasmajet (Sobczak-Krell)[F-J], and CD#2 (Davis)[C-H].

I made my first full delay and ejection motor in 1972, a 29mm E20. Had I only known I could simply get it certified . . . .

Aerotech (Rosenfield) was after all that. 1980.

Jerry