View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Another difference in the decals I noticed is the Estes Logo. In the old it had black lettering in a field of white and the rocket was white in a field of black. Compare that to the new version where the lettering is white in a field of black and the rocket is now black in a field of white. Also there some kind of Registered (TM) or Copyright mark at the end of the Estes' name in the new version. Problem is, it's too small for me to make out with my naked eyes, and I don't have a magnifying glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
The original Patriot has you insert the engine mount until the bottom of the hook is even with the body tube, this version has you align the motor mount tube even with the body tube. I ended up trimming the engine hook so it will now rest on the fins. Good job

As to the location of the engine hook (flush with the end of the body tube, or protruding), both vesions of the old instructions are ambiguous.

You could read it as "The engine hook end of the engine mount tube must be even (flush) with the back end of body tube" OR "The engine hook must be even (flush) with the back end of the body tube". I think it's up to the individual builder to determine how they want to interpret it. However, Estes eliminated all doubt of what should be done with the re-release version (tube ends even). Personally, for the classic versions, I'm of the inclination to have the tube ends even.

A couple of other issues I have also concern the engine hook... I recently opened an older Estes kit (a Polaris (1324) with a yellow hang tag and "NEW" on the facecard) and noticed that the engine hook was a tad narrower (measured it to be 2mm wide) than all of the previous versions (1/8"wide) I've futzed with over the years. I wonder if someone with an original bagged version and an original boxed version would measure their engine hooks and get that back to me. The other issue is the location of the hook in the instructions. It seems to be halfway between one of the fins and the launch lug in the instructions. However, there's no mention of another line for it to be placed on, nor does there seem to be any real reason to need to do it. Personally, I suspect it was drawn that way to make it easier to mark the other notes about gluing the ring joint and the location of the launch lug.

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.