View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Craftsman

I think Carl's assumptions are flawed. There are two possibilities with regard to the reasoning. First, that the numbers provided by Barry are intentionally misleading in order to not give the competition any insight (no matter how little) into the business. Or second, being intentionally misused to represent something not intended.
From my perspective, it's both. I liken the former to something along the lines of me asking Carl how much money he takes out of SEMROC a year. That would include everything from "expenses” to a traditional salary. The response might be something ranging from I make a comfortable living to my personal tax return says my gross income was one-hundred sixty four thousand. My guess is Carl would respond with the former........ I know I would.

Estes is arguably a successful company. Which leads me to believe the actions taken by its leadership are valid as long as they are legal. I just can't seem to reconcile the position people seem to have taken over the fact that Estes is a "for profit" company. I don't think Estes is in the habit of ripping people off. Certainly they have overstated their intentions with respect to announcing new kits and then delivering them on time (if at all). That tends to make the few a little angry and that drive towards the second point above.

Now from all I've read, SEMROC has had a few pointed conversations with Estes on copyrights and what not, but I would say that really has more to do with protecting potential income (on both parts) than personality. No, I think it has more to do with the old "David vs. Goliath" scenario. I believe that is a great motivator and many smaller companies turn into big ones for that very reason.

I can't argue with the math in Carl's post. The arithmetic is spot on. As far as "Facts" go, I'm a little suspect. I think Carl is being overly generous even if it what was quoted by Barry. Although it does remind me of a Brady Bunch episode.

So for me, I'll still spend my money with both companies because I like SEMROC's products, quality and customer service, however, I still like many of Estes' older kits and I really like the motors they produce.
TRA #11767
Level 1