Thread: FSI Kit Eras
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Craftsman

I'll try to remember of the top of my head best as I can on this. There were only really four different "eras". First, George Roos in Louisville, CO. Second, Reese's buy model rocket part of FSI around 1970? Third FSI thru around 1990? (when Harold Reese died) Fourth, After/end.
The third epoc was one continual jelling. Things were changing and not on any annual schedule. I can fill in a few details about a few things listed of the top of my head but some I will have to think a bit on.
The Nova changed length because Lonnie designed it to use a F7. At one time he held a altitude record with this model.
When George sold the company,he had a TON of old package fronts and select a chutes. The packages lasted longer than the original red/black chutes did. I do remember us having to reorder chutes sometime and Lonnie wanting different colors.
All (thru mid 80's) .903 and 1.13 nose cones were made of sugar pine and ogive in design. (the 1.13 cones had a 5/8 hole bored in the center.
Harold was always over the machine shop and usually kept pretty good track of QC. Lonnie was real picky.
More to come........................