View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody's Workshop
Most days are bearable for the most part.
It's those 6 to 8 weeks before my next RF that really get to me, mentally and physically.
I often take muscle relaxers for the charlies, and sometimes use them to keep me in a comatose status to make it bearable.
What I miss more than anything is my Wood Shop. I hope that someday I will be able to set up a shop again. I just love the smell of freshly cut wood, doing glue-ups and producing unique things.
I first got hooked in the 6th grade. Every since I an incurable need to make things out of wood.
I guess that is why I personally won't even consider the quick kits or E2X kits, made with plastic parts real model rockets.
While I am now doing some leather crafting (also got involved with that in the 6th grade shop classes) I am making molds out of wood for knife sheaths. But all I have in tools is my circular saw, dremel and jig saw...I fully enjoy using them when I am able to.
And you are right, there is more positives in life still. But when one looks back at what one could do and what is capable of doing now it can hit the mental status quite hard at times. You look at yourself with much less usefulness than one should.
Thank You Kindly for the kind words of wisdom!
You're welcome. If your state has legalized medicinal marijuana, cannabis tea can work wonders on pain (an uncle of mine who had multiple oral cancer tumors [he was a rodeo cowboy, who chewed tobacco when he was a young man], and a former co-worker of mine here who had horrific neuropathy pain from wildly out-of-control diabetes, both swore by it). If that isn't the case where you are, marinol (pills made from the THC in marijuana) are legal and doctor-prescribe-able, and:

Staying somewhat more-than-normally-hydrated may also help reduce the cramping (it helped me with that, although everyone is different). If you can get prescribed morphine sulfate pills (my friend and I both take 15 mg extended release tablets twice a day [one every 12 hours], and they make life livable for us; unlike injected morphine, it *doesn't* cause hallucinations of "bugs in one's skin" that some IV morphine recipients experience), they will likely knock your pain down enough to be a nuisance rather than a menace. Also, if inflammation is part of why you're hurting so much, naproxen might help (it and morphine pills can be taken together [my friend takes both], and neither of them trash out the liver and kidneys, as acetaminophen-containing painkillers such as Tylenol and Vicodin do). In addition:

I never thought I'd become enthusiastic about E2X and Quick Kit (from Quest) model rockets, but I have. In my case, it wasn't medical considerations that resulted in this, but having only a 1 ft. square building surface (my apartment isn't *that* tiny; I just have other appliances and devices that take up counter space) and being unable to spray paint models outside for much of the year because of the cold (and using an indoor spray booth during the winter would kill me, because the windows must be kept sealed). Also--I must admit--I now enjoy the time-saving (and "mess-saving") of plastic parts over wood ones (and I built plenty of wood-and-paper model rockets), and I've become "spoiled" by laser-cut balsa fins (and even more so by fiber fins...). As well:

Having done--and enjoyed--resin-casting, including making cast polyurethane nose cones, I'm now more particular about where and how I expend effort. I'd view a turned wood, sanded-and-sealed nose cone as being a pattern, a mold master, for creating an RTV rubber mold from which I could cast multiple polyurethane resin nose cones. And 3D printing is a whole new world...if they don't exist already, I suspect that wood-shaping 3D printers will come into being before long, as it's a material that's crying out to be able to be worked that way.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR