View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I think the right most B14's in those pics are the "precursors" to the B8 motors that replaced them.
Functionally, those last produced "B14s" I theorize were actually B8's; I have some late B14-7's and I cannot tell ANY dimensional difference in them from the B8-7's from a year later even under magnified examination.

here is a theory (based on nothing but a guess):

Motor manufacturers can change a design without recertification as long as there is no major change. Often a motor is redesigned because of a change in propellant (different sources of black powder) or a change in place of manufacture. Usually the new samples are submitted for recertification, sometimes with the same motor designation (like the Quest C6-5 made in USA, Germany and China). back in the 1970's they may have tweaked the B14 design and tried to keep calling them B14's, but then either decided to recertify them as B8 on their own or after the NAR told them to do so.

I still think there was a tapered bore version (deep large hole plus deeper tiny drilled cylinder) as well as a long tapered single bore version (like a B8 bore, but deeper).

Any photos or measurements of a 196's era English units B3 motor?

8.1.6 Any changes exceeding manufacturing tolerances

made to the physical design or chemical composition of a

model rocket motor, motor reloading kit, or component(s)

by a manufacturer after certification testing shall be reported

to the recognized testing organization that originally

granted the certification prior to sale or shipment. If

the changes potentially affect characteristics measured in

the original certification testing, that testing organization

shall be permitted to require that samples of the changed
product be submitted for testing.