View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Estes "Launch Pad" Employee Newsletters

I really enjoy going through the vintage Estes "Launch Pad" publications that are available on Ye Olde Rocket Shop. They are interesting to me as an off again on again BAR that initially started in model rocketry about 1974 but the interest goes beyond the hobby aspect. It shows a time when a company gave a **** about the people that worked for it. If you have not looked through these publications, please do so. You will see notices of employee birthdays and anniversaries, get well soon notes, simple employee bios listing hobbies and interests as well as family info, promotions, and welcomes to new employees. The wealth of information in these publications is amazing. Photos of Estes company picnics, items about the bowling team, so much stuff. It must have been amazing to work for a company that cared about it's people. It goes beyond model rocketry. I guess it is just the nostalgia painting a picture of a simpler, more caring world but going through those issues is comforting in a way. Working for a large organization that pretends to care and throws the word"family" around as a corporate cliche' can make one feel ver4y alone and isolated. The issues of the issues of Estes' "Launch Pad" are in a way, soothing. So for going on so long. Thank you for listening to my nostalgic drivel but mostly thanks for posting the Estes' "Launch Pad" issues on Ye Olde Rocket Shop. I encourage everyone to take a look at them.
Thanks!
Andy