View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Shockingly, I must disagree with Peter Olivola. Basically the premise of your argument is flawed.

Would you claim that we can't put criminals in jail because by so doing we are degrading ourselves? How do we punish ISIS? Or do we simply agree not to meddle in their affairs?

If we do nothing, ISIS wins, and they have a powerful recruiting message that they any opposition will come in the form of words only and that they have nothing to fear from the infidels.

If we retaliate in kind, ISIS wins and has a powerful recruiting message that the infidels, led by the west, are making war against Islam.

If we sit down to negotiate ISIS wins and has a powerful recruiting message that they have forced the weak infidels, led by the west, to the bargaining table and will dictate terms.

So what, then, are we to do? If we do nothing, men, women, and children, will be killed, women will be raped, girls will be sold into slavery, boys will be given guns and told to fight the infidels or be killed (we burned that pilot, ya know...). Not really speculation since ISIS et al have already done these. So I think doing nothing is out of the question.

Economic sanctions are not likely to work - a bit like economic sanctions against inner city gangs.

Negotiating is not likely to work - what would we offer? What would ISIS offer in return? Based on their previous behavior, would giving them their own land (which already has people on it) seem like a good idea? Who will ensure the safety of those not wanting to live under ISIS rule? Would the United States or UN really set up a Islamist Dictatorship run by guys with a solid history of human rites violations?

These guys are like wolverines. They can't be stopped, only killed. They have shown no behavior to indicate otherwise.

SO... I don't think King Abdullah is out of bounds with his reaction. What ISIS has done is nothing short of monstrous. They deserve a monstrous response.