View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I can see in the 1971 Centuri catalog citation (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...d/71dcen30.html )--from the illustration, and from the text mentioning "hollow core" and "clear molded" fins--that their Saturn V kit (by that time, if not from the very beginning) had slightly-over-sized molded plastic fins (theirs were more subtly "nudged" out of scale than the Estes kit's fins, in its later releases). Also:

I had always thought that Centuri's Saturn IB had plastic fins too, and their use of the term "pre-shaped fins" in their Saturn V kit description--as well as in their Saturn IB's kit description--does indeed suggest that their Saturn IB also had plastic fins from the start. (In those days, plastic parts in model rockets were still something of a novelty [even plastic nose cones in 3FNC and 4FNC kits were touted as special features back then], so I can see how they could have used "pre-shaped fins" to denote detailed, high-fidelity molded scale--or very nearly so, in the case of their Saturn V kit--plastic fins.)

Pretty sure both the Centuri Saturn V and Saturn 1b always had plastic, two-piece vacu-formed fins. Each fin consisted of two vacu-formed halves that were joined with cement, allowed to thoroughly dry, then you trimmed away the excess plastic around the outer edge. I've never seen a set of instructions for either kit that had balsa or any other material for the Saturn fins. All instruction sets I've ever seen or have (and I have a number of vintage kits of each Centuri Saturn) show the vacu-formed fin halves. Matter of fact, I have a vintage Saturn 1b about ready for paint now. That fin can, with eight fins built as described above, was pretty tedious, but they turn out pretty nice. Takes work though, no doubt.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970