View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 10:26 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I fill grain the old fashioned way-the best way-with good old fashioned DOPE.
3-4 coats of Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat with sanding between coats 2/3/4.
I apply the first two coats 'wet' right over the top of each other; both sides of one fin then move to next fin until they have the initial two coats. Wait 2 hours or more, then sand, apply coat 3, wait 2 hours or more then sand and decide if a 4th coat is needed. Let final coat dry overnight, sand then apply two coats of Aero Gloss Sanding Sealer with sanding between coats.
This is time consuming but you get Balsa fins/cones/transitions with a completely filled smooth surface that is top-coat ready for your choice of color finish.
I usually use vintage Aero Gloss colored Dope as the color topcoat from a spray gun as I have a vintage stock of quarts, pints, and half-pints of all the Pactra colors that rivals most 80's hobby shops.
If using basswood for fin stock ONE coat of Balsa Fillercoat followed by one coat of Sanding Sealer is usually plenty.
Finishing with Dope is time consuming, but ALWAYS rivals all other finishing systems other than extremely costly Automotive Urethane (with catalyst/hardener) finishing systems.
If you can find old stock of two-part Petit Hobby-Poxy or K&B Super Poxy topcoat, that also rivals Dope.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !