View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Ciderwright

I'm guessing that they can use the grid fins to hold a slight angle of attack, and 'fly' the booster to some extent. (Adding some lift into the mix.) Don't Soyuz capsule do something a bit similar?

What caught my eye on this flight was the speed and alt gauges on the booster. It really bleeds off speed in the last 10k or so. Without a burn. Just lots of air.

When I first became a BAR, I spent a number of flights trying to deliberately back-slide a purpose-built rocket. I watched the sustainer of my Little Beth X-2 downscale (my first scratch build) backslide on its own, and dug into the articles on the subject.

I never succeeded. I think I (or my rocket, rather) fell victim to the modern 'shotgun' ejection charges. I was using a vent port under the nosecone as a thruster to turn the model horizontal. It always turned nearly 180 degrees and lawn darted.

My attempt at the 'Flying Stovepipe' design suffered from strong ejections, too. It's a Scout inside an annular wing. The ejection charge is supposed to kick the motor back against an extra long retainer clip and the momentum dislodge the Scout from the glider. Mine always blew the motor clean away.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!