View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Craftsman

K-45? I'm still on the stuff from 1964. That'll be quite a bit of time being bidden.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

With the payload section under control, the next section was the fins. To be honest, I've never found the Cobra to be attractive. It's got those giant fins that look like someone standing with the feet wider than their shoulders. And, it's got those giant fins that look like they'll take the better part of a shelf.

I had also investigated other historic variants of the Cobra. As we can see, there was a version of the Cobra published in Model Rocket News, V3N4, circa 1963. That's before the K-10 kit of the Cobra. It's my plan to build the historic versions as well. But, gees, the MRN version of the Cobra is almost identical to the K-10 version. The only real difference is a slightly different shape in the fins. That wasn't enough of a difference to dedicate that much shelf space to, so I didn't build the MRN version. (Edit - I just noticed that the Design of the Month 17 page for the MRN Cobra even mentions the Estes kit. So, I have no idea which came first.)

Or, maybe I didn't build the K-10 version. How will we ever know? OK, I built the K-10 version.

At the same time, I installed the motor mount, to our friends at Quest. Or, an engine mount to our friends at Estes. It takes three engines, and glued tissue was to be packed around the tubes. I have a laser cutter. So I laser cut some special centering rings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cobra Fins Compared.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  161.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  fins.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  183.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mount.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  123.8 KB