View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Retired Missile Technician

The original company was a Model Rocket Industries. Model Product Corp. bought them in the mid-60s (IIRC) to add a model rocket line to their plastic model line. G. Harry Stine was hired as a consultant to MPC. Later, when MPC dropped the line, Myke Berzenske (probably mispelled the last name), the origianl MRI guy, bought out the stock from MPC and formed AVI (Aerospace Vehicles, Inc.). Among model rocketry they offered many other hobby items. They did print a newsprint catalog called the "Encyclog" that had about ten sections to it. My copy is worn and torn and in the botton of a storage container.
I had met Myke on a few occasions, including helping to certifiy the 13mm Micro-jets while assisting Dr. Gregorek with the NAR Standards and Testing back in the late '60s/early '70s.
There was a warehouse of MPC rocket kits that someone purchased and has been trying to sell on the ROL auction and eBay. He even offered the entire remaining stock recently, but did not find a buyer.
Some of the designs and plastic moulds ended up at Quest.
I am still flying an original MPC Nike Patriot I built in the '70s. I also built a a Quest Nike K (upgraded by them with kevlar, etc.) that I finished like a sounding rocket that I call the Nike Something.
Check out www.ninfinger.org for more on MPC catalogs. It would be too prohibative to put the Encylalog on line. Too big a format and too many pages.

Chas
NAR 9790