Thread: Pegasus RC RG
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Craftsman

Default Pegasus RC RG

I've been thinking about this one for a while, but didn't think I could get something flyable with the small wing the Pegasus launch vehicle has, and with the weights of components. However my recent learnings with my Mace I thought I could get something done under 11 oz with maybe a passable look and glide.

So, I scaled the wing up of course, took a crack at boost CG and moved things around in openrocket and my rc cg programs and decided on placement of components. The wing sits on sort of a platform, so I faked that with some little extensions in front and rear of the wing, with some reinforcing gussets below. Idea was to look like pegasus but be light. There seems to be a number of tail shapes and configurations in the photos I've seen, I chose one with a horizontal stab so it would match what I'm doing for the controls. Most of the photos show the fins at 120 degrees to each other, but the ones flown off of the B-52 I found were at 90 degrees to the vertical stab. Wing area is right at 1 sq foot.

Came in right at 10.75 oz, first test flight was a tiny bit pitchy on boost, but glide was much better than expected. I added 5 grams to the nose and it was very stable on boost, with a very decent glide, landing speed is faster than my others due simply to the wing loading but the drag is fairly low.

I'm hoping Stickershock can do justice to the rest of the markings.

38" long, 22" wingspan, BT-80 lightweight tubing from bms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20170127_21_03_05_Pro.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  336.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20170127_20_35_59_Pro.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  288.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20170127_23_29_12_Pro.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  347.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20170129_08_58_11_Pro.jpg