View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Dazed and Confused

I've flown my Centuri model dozens and dozens of times on a single D12-3 with absolutely perfect results, with ejection while vertical but near zero velocity. I've flown it several times on a C6-x cluster (can't remember if 3 or 5 sec delay) with good results, but the flight profile of the D12-3 has always been perfect for small field demos...good slow liftoff and easy recovery.

No matter what you stick in the back, fly the thing with minimal wind.

If you use a bigger motor than a single D12, add clear fins, even with the extra enlarged fin version.

Don't expect a rocket that was designed to fly on a recessed single D12 or a cluster of 3 18mm's to fly perfectly on a 5 motor cluster sticking way out the back and then blame it on the rocket. You have to add more weight/fin area, you have greater velocities and more altitude. This means much greater chance of off-vertical deployment, which leads to higher velocity ejections. Coupled with added weight for CG, added weight of beefed up subsystems, and the insane desire of folks to fly in hurricane force winds, you have much greater chance of recovery failures.

Getting a successful flight on the Saturn isn't rocket science, but it is common sense rocketry.