Thread: Akela-1 scans
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Dazed and Confused

Al,

The Estes Viking and the original Akela-1 are slightly different. I have both (edit: I have parts from the Akela, but not a packaged kit). The nosecones and body tubes are also different. The body tube of the Akela was thicker and stronger and was slightly longer. The nosecone was heavier and had a more rounded tip. The fins have only slightly different dimensions, but they are different enough for someone with a decent eye to notice if they are sitting near each other without having to measure. I don't care what anybody else has said in the past about them being identical...they didn't have the parts in their hands.

The Estes Viking came out in the 80's when they started marketing Centuri kits under their own name. I don't know if the Centuri Viking had already changed from the original heavy parts that the Akela used, but it definately was born of that rocket.

I've never seen a Vector V in person, but I'd bet it had the same body tube (not counting the larger fin area tube), nosecone and fins as the Akela.