Thread: Akela-1 scans
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Akela-1 scans

(also posted on the OldRockets list and soon to go up on TRF)

I lost all the photos I accumulated of the Akela-1 kit due to a hard drive crash a few months ago. If any of you have any scans, or links to pics of the finished rocket, please help me out. Color pics would be awesome, but I'll take anything I can get. I'm just starting to dig through the Centuri Rocket Times scans on Ninfinger and have found a marginal quality scan in the 1975-1976 Winter CRT.

For those of you that don't know about the kit, it was a rocket produced by Centuri for the Boy Scouts of America, specifically the Cub Scouts, IIRC. You could buy it at just about any place that sold Boy Scouts materials, supplies, etc. It's physically a copy of the old Centuri Viking. Estes recreated it and also called it the Viking, but the parts are slightly different. The Estes version uses thinner Estes tubing, and the nosecone and the fiber fins have ever so slightly different angles, but you wouldn't notice the difference on an assembled rocket. With parts lying side by side, it's easy to see the difference, however.