Thread: Akela-1 scans
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Since the original Akela-1 cone looks different from the Viking cone, I thought I'd try to build a second rocket using Centuri parts.

I have two nosecones that came from Akela-1 kits. Centuri tubes are thicker than the stuff we get today, so I figure buying tubes from BMS, Semroc, etc. would fit the nosecone a little loose. I knew I had some old Centuri tubing somewhere that I ordered from ACME (Grant Boyd) over a decade ago. I found the box tonight. Looks like I ordered it in 1994. There are several pieces of Series 7 tubes and one Series 8 tube along with a payload section and nosecone for the Series 8.

If Phred could measure the actual length of the original body tube in his colllection for me, I'll build a second Akela-1 using the original nosecone. Unfortunately, I can only find a couple of original fins, so I'll have to cut some balsa fins for it. The Viking fins are a hair different in shape, and I don't care too much for fiber fins anyway.

I'll use the Viking bash as my main flying model and the one with the Centuri parts will fly once or twice for photos and be put on display. I might even stick a 13mm motor mount in the Viking bashed version since I have a butt load of mini motors.

I'm still looking for the old color advertisements of the Akela-1. I used to have color versions of these B&W photos pulled from Ninfinger's site.