Thread: Ebay Alert
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

This is a public apology to Bob (Lurker01). Bob, I have reprinted my comment to your post regarding Estes stapled kits below:

"Bob.....................I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would need more convincing. I have seen Estes kits from the same era as the Sky Hook that was on Ebay (stapled) and they were all heat sealed (there are clues that help date kits, such as the artwork in the instructions, and I'd place a small wager that the Mark kits you refer to in your post have the same style of artwork as the aforementioned Sky Hook).

Heck, the Scout was Estes' first kit, and all of the earliest examples I've seen of it were heat sealed.

Now, if Vern were to step forward and state that he had personally closed his earlier kits with staples, that would certainly clinch it. By the way, what are the staples in your kits like? Do they match the staples that were used in some of Estes other early products? How about posting a few photos to help support your case?

Joe"

Bob, you appear to have left this forum, but I hope you drop in occasionally so that you might read this post. I can tell you sincerely that there was no intent to offend you in any way with my comment. Estes may well have stapled their earliest kits, but since any opened kit can be stapled closed, I think it would be difficult to state definitively that a stapled kit is an Estes original. Again, if Vern or anyone who worked at Estes during the early years can confirm this, that would clinch it for me. Until then, I remain skeptical. Perhaps Bill Simon, a member here, could shed some additional light on this.

Bob, I really think you have taken my comments the wrong way, and I am disappointed in your reaction. You are a knowledgeable, longtime collector with a lot to contribute here. I hope you will consider returning.

Joe